Presentation A + Bread and Cup + 02.02.2020


 M. Campbell-Langdell
All Saints, Oxnard

(Malachi 3:1–4; Ps. 84; Hebrews 2:14–18; St Luke 2:22–40)
“There was also a prophet, Anna the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was of a great age, having lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, then as a widow to the age of eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshiped there with fasting and prayer night and day. At that moment she came, and began to praise God and to speak about the child to all who were looking for the redemption of Jerusalem (Luke 2:36-38).”
Beautiful Anna, great in years and sharing her wisdom with the young. Young and adult and all ages coming together to worship. I believe this is what makes God’s heart glad, and what makes us always glad to enter this and any dwelling place of God.
I saw God this week in an unexpected place. Isn’t that always the way? I was with my Pepperdine Communitas Clergy Leadership Cohort, and we were transported to a school in Huntington Park, Miles Avenue School. And there we saw a dual language program, a “regular” school that is anything but ordinary, and a STEM magnet school. And the kids were happy and learning. Probably not all of them, but a lot more of them than I understand is usually the case. And the teachers were overworked and a bit stressed but also the respected leaders in their settings, and there was almost a peace in that campus. And then we met the parents. About 100 parents volunteer at the school on a regular basis, making photocopies, cleaning the recess area, whatever is needed. And this was one way we saw the resiliency and strength in communities that our society might see as lacking in resources.
Reflecting on the love these parent volunteers shared with the teachers and the students, I saw a bit of what we try to do in church when we try to share the love of God with all generations.
Today we celebrate the Holy or Grand Communions of some very special young people. They have been faithfully showing up in God’s temple, just like the Holy Family and St. Simeon and the Prophet Anna whom we hear about today. They have been offering their time and whatever gifts they have. Not turtledoves now, but their precious time and perhaps whatever resources their families can spare. Because the turtledoves come from an old tradition. It says we are “buying back our firstborn” from God. You see at the Passover, God said, all the first born children are mine. And then the Jewish people would bring an offering and present it at the temple. We’d like to keep Jesus, lord, said Mary and Joseph. Here is our offering. Well it works at least for a while – Simeon sees another future, but for now they present their offering.
But isn’t that what we do when we honor God with our offerings of time, treasure and talent week in and week out? We honor God because what we receive is so much more.
The Holy Communion may be in glorious bread and quality wine, or at times it is the more humble wafer and lesser quality wine or juice, but spiritually it gives us something. It may be glorious physical food, or it may not, but it is still the stuff of life.
I have been blessed to travel to Europe and the Middle East, to South America and different parts of North America. And when I have traveled, I have hungered. Not just for the food of each culture which nourishes us so. But also for the Eucharist. For the sacrament. And so I have wandered into churches, many of them Roman Catholic if there is not an Episcopal or Anglican one nearby, and I have sought the food of God’s altar. Of the sacrifice Jesus made for us of his very life. Of forgiveness in its most tangible form, excepting perhaps a big hug in the right circumstances. Sometimes, I have been rejected from that table, and I know the pain that many of you have felt of that sting. Sometimes I have been welcomed unexpectedly. At one Franciscan church in Spain, the priest insisted on serving Pastor Alene and me communion when we went up for a blessing! But whether I was welcomed at the table, or told to keep my distance, I always knew God welcomed me.
Because I was formed well by my Sunday school teachers, faithful people like Cindy Morales, who told me God loved me. That Jesus was my Savior, brother and friend. My Sunday school teachers told me that because of my baptism, I could always receive the sacrament. And in fact, that I should invite others who might not be baptized. Who might not know Christ.
Come and take this bread. Drink this wine. Let us celebrate those who have learned prayers and about Holy Communion today, our young people. Let us celebrate with them knowing that, although it is good to know prayers, it is our faithful presence in the temple, receiving the sacrament that feeds us with what we need to serve others. Because this is the true Bread of Life, and the cup of salvation. If any of you hunger today with something that cannot be named, come to this table. Eat this bread. Drink this cup. And be filled anew.
Thanks be to God!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proper 10A + Fertile ground + 7.16.23

Proper 28 A + This little light + 11.19.23

Proper 12A + Abundance! + 7.30.23