Sabbatical Update- weeks 5 and 6!

 


Last week, I was blessed by the opportunity to take part in an eight-day silent retreat given by Contemplative Outreach at Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino. For the first three days, Alene joined me, which was a blessing. On the last day, she picked me up, and we even got to see the Odyssey with my parents at a movie theatre on the way back!
 Every day, we sat for meditation in the morning, ate in silence, and had a teaching session about contemplative practices and Centering Prayer by Fr. Bill Sheehan, an expert on CP who has been practicing since its start in the US in the early 1980's with Fr. Thomas Keating. The sessions were the only times when we could talk. After a daily Eucharist service (serving communion to all who believe in the real presence), we ate lunch in silence, did an optional two-part sit, then had downtime in the afternoon to do crafts/pray/read/walk, and then in the evening we would eat dinner in silence, do a sit and have quiet time to reflect. This experience enriched my sabbatical time in more ways than I can explain. The time to just sit and listen, to try to calm my thoughts, was wonderful. Meditation is very challenging, and at the same time, I was reminded just how good it is for me mentally and emotionally. But what helped perhaps the most was the luxury of the longer retreat time, so I could truly go with the flow and see where the Spirit moved me each day. Sometimes I would walk the labyrinth or go to the lake and see if the lotus flowers had opened, others I walked around at different times of day and took in the Interfaith prayer garden.
I got to see wonderful little creations like the above St. Joseph and the St Francis with all the ceramic animals- so whimsical! 

This time allowed me to slow down and think, to pray about my ministry and to reflect upon my relationship with God. I was so grateful for the chance to be at ease and develop a routine for prayer. In addition to the sits, I prayed the rosary and read spiritual as well as fun books. While I cannot maintain the full rhythm at all times, it encouraged me to keep up the Centering Prayer as I move forward. I intend to do 1-2 sits daily moving forward.

The rosary reminded me of my sense of connection to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Being born on the feast of the Annunciation, she holds a special place in my heart. Keating's book _Intimacy with God_, which I read prior to and during the retreat, mentions both the rosary and Lectio Divina as prayer practices which are complementary with CP. As such I have been trying to integrate them a bit, too. One of the things that Keating mentions, is that while meditation can be relaxing, it will also invite your subconscious to examine old wounds, and so you must not be afraid if difficult emotions come up. In light of this, we were taught the Welcoming Prayer practice. I am sure that some of this will feature in the church retreat in early October.
You might think I was lonely, and I did miss folks a bit, but actually, the time was rich and full, with much to explore and pray about. There was plenty to do, between two labyrinths to walk, much reading and resting, creative projects and prayer. I even got to briefly look over some sermon prep for when I return. Additionally, it was crazy hot, so I jumped at the chance to accompany a retreatant who was recovering from surgery and had been given permission to use the sisters' private pool! The time in silence reminded me that there is very little that we say day-to-day that is actually necessary. However, upon my return, Alene and I were able to share some insights with each other, so I am glad we do not continue in silence most of the time!
I was impressed by the Interfaith Peace Garden's Medicine Wheel and the statue of Kateri Tekawitha, a Native American Saint. I loved the connection to the people native to this land I saw at Holy Spirit Retreat Center. 

There was also this brightly colored angel that made me happy!


And the most precious little garden with herbs, vegetables and succulents.

True to the name, "Encino", the campus is covered with oaks (encinos in Spanish) and other trees. The property was purchased in the 40s or 50s by the Sisters of Social Service from the Hay family, who apparently owned much of what is now Encino. A fun story that was shared was that the Sister who was doing the transaction knew that Mrs. Hay was considering selling the property, but had one adult child who was anti-Catholic and one who was neutral. One day, she snuck out to the property and buried a St. Benedict statue on the edge of the land, and sure enough the resistant adult child said that actually, it didn't matter, Mrs. Hay could sell to the sisters after all!

This past week, I have been blessed to work on my home. It is hard to maintain a home while serving in active parish ministry. Housekeeping often goes by the wayside, even with some help. So, I took the opportunity to have our windows washed and carpets cleaned professionally for the first time since we moved in in 2014 (needless to say they needed it). It means so much to have my home environment refreshed. 


I was also humbled and honored to step (oh so very briefly) out of sabbatical mode today in order to concelebrate the funeral of Dave Matthews with Fr. Anthony Guillen. It was mentioned during the service that Dave was a Renaissance Man, and the stories shared made it clear how very true that was. He took me under his wing, as did Sharon, when I first arrived in Oxnard 15 years ago, and it seems that they have a habit of doing that. Since Dave was dying just as I started my sabbatical, I sensed it was a sign that I had planned to be home during this time and could do the service. The family graciously worked with me. We will all truly miss Dave, and my prayers are lifted for his family. Sharon gifted me these gorgeous flowers, which I hope that Monica will enjoy while Alene and I journey to the UK and Ireland starting next week. Please pray for us for safe travels and I will share more as I can. It was lovely to see several All Santos' folks today, and I look forward to seeing folks in a few weeks when I return from the vacation part of sabbatical!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advent 2A + Prepare the way + 12.4.22

Proper 19 C + Grito + 9.14.25

Lent 2 C + Wonder + 3.16.25